Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Friday, January 8, 2010

Morning Pages

Every morning I spend time with a spiral notebook and fountain pen writing about the day before and the day to come. I write about things I need to do, ideas for doing them, I sort out my thoughts on things going in my life and the world around me. I do my best to write three full pages without stopping.

When I am done I feel peaceful. I've gotten rid of many thoughts that started racing through my mind as soon as I woke up. I've sorted out the things I need to do for the day. Sometimes I write about something special that happened the day before and sometimes I rant about something difficult happening in my life.

I've been doing morning pages as instructed by Julia Cameron in her book The Artist's Way: A Course in Discovering and Recovering Your Creative Self for years. They make a big difference in how I feel and my husband even says he can tell when I have skipped them for a day or two.

Next week I start an on-line class on the sequel, Walking in This World: The Practical Art of Creativity being lead by creative coach Quinn McDonald (www.quinncreative.wordpress.com.) I've taken workshops with Quinn and she is extremely inspiring. I look forward to learning new things and finding more of my creative self.

In the meantime, I will be doing my morning pages and hope some of you will give then a try. Let me know how they work for you.

Happy Writing,
Rita

www.theartistsway.com

1 comment:

  1. I love morning pages, too, and I'm a huge Julia Cameron fan. I hope more creative people give it a try :) Enjoy your online class--I look forward to hearing about it!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.