Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spring Is Here


I thought today was the first day of Spring. Off a day. Oh well. I wanted to share this photo of my African Violets. Aren't they lovely? My mother's name was Viola which she got from her mother's middle name. The story goes my great grandfather wanted to name my grandma Violet but it was changed to Viola and then made her middle name... Jennie Viola. I wonder if Mom would have liked Violet better then she did Viola or Vi.

When we think of spring we think of tiny shoots coming up from the ground, buds on the trees, spring cleaning, the old adage about wearing white before April (or was it May?)and pollen.

I'm not much for spring cleaning, especially this year as we are still in the process of remodeling, but I am thinking about beginnings and growth. Beginning new projects and learning new art techniques. Trying new colors and maybe a fresh spring outfit in whatever color is popular this year. Maybe I'll write some poetry or start a new visual journal with a spring related theme. There are so many things to do. So many things to learn and experiment with.

What new things can you try this spring? Have you started your memoirs yet? Get yourself a set of watercolors and play with blending colors to make new shades. Plant some herbs. Try some new recipes for summer salads.

Let me know what you discover this spring.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts Rita--little snippets of your life....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying new veggie recipes this spring. I've been experimenting with bok choy and fennel, and tonight it's beet greens :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.