Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Flat Stanley Returns to Washington


A couple of years ago a member of my Writers Inspiration Group brought in the writing prompt of "Flat Stanley." I'd never heard of him before. But I was instantly entranced.

"Flat Stanley" is from a series of books started in 1964 by Jeff Brown. There are all kinds of Web sites including special literacy sites centered around these books. Stanley is flat, as in paper, and travels around the world solving problems. Just search for "Flat Stanley" for all kinds of fun things to do.

I immediately bought a book for my grandson, Alexander. Then another for myself and "Flat Stanley" started traveling with us, too. Last year as Doug and I were getting ready to go visit the boys I realized I couldn't find the original Flat Stanley from the book (a very nice encased copy) so I quickly drew my own and he joined us on our travels.

Well, I just returned from Washington last night with "Flat Stanley" safely tucked in my journal for this trip. The boys got a kick out of having their picture taken with him.

This has become a new tradition in our family. Thanks to Doris of my writer's group. What are some of your traditions? How can you start some new ones?

The photo is Alexander, age 5 1/2, and Brendan, age 3 1/2 and of course "Flat Stanley." Please stay tuned for more Washington adventures.

1 comment:

  1. Rita
    Alexander and Brendan are adorable!!!! That little one--what a great smile! I know about flat Stanley.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.