Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Westward Ho

The journal continues. I didn't get near as far as I'd hoped today due to a variety of reasons. Nothing serious, just slowed me down. So here I am in Pendleton, Oregon. Just as I came over the pass I stopped at a rest stop and took this picture of the Deadman's Pass Monument on the Oregon Trail.
I think a lot about those travelers. I can't even image. As I was coming down from the pass I was having a hard time with my car and the turns and narrow road. I don't do well with heights. But, take a moment and imagine facing that in a covered wagon.
Well, as much as I've studied history I just can't get my head around how they did it.


I realized today I missed Tuesdays With Rita so here it is late... write about a time you visited a historical marker of some kind. Do you have pictures?

I couldn't resist the sign on this truck just this on the other side of the Oregon/Utah border. It cracked me up. So from historical markers to Little Stinkers. I tried to get it to enlarge but I'm not very good at it besides being tired. The big sign on the truck says "Stinker Stores" (their logo is a skunk.) The other sign draped across it says "Smoke Shop Prices." Non-smokers will get it.

It has been a long trip but mostly uneventful, except in good ways. On that note, I will take you back to the Young Living Garden. Let its beauty touch your soul.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rita-love your Sinker Stores photo!! Well you are almost there!! Great job-driving all that way by yourself!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.