Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Sunday, August 15, 2010

Bliss, Idaho

Hello All,
I am on my way home. I left Jessica's at 7:00 this morning and just checked in to the Amber Inn in Bliss, Idaho. Seemed appropriate somehow.

I have been following the Oregon Trail on-and-off most of the day. I crossed the Snake River just a few miles back. It it so big. I keep trying to imagine what it as like to travel mostly on foot or in a wagon with everything I own in that very wagon and depending on guides when I can't tell one bluff from another.

Some of these bluffs are so big I try to picture urging oxen up and then dragging the brake as we go down so their load won't run right over them.
Here's a picture I took at one of the many rest stops along the way.

It was hard saying goodbye to Jessica, Matt and the boys this morning. I packed all but the essentials yesterday so I could make a quick exit this morning. I don't handle long goodbyes very well. I was out the door at 7:00 a.m.

Tomorrow I have to go through Salt Lake City again but I planned it so I will go through in the morning so I will be a bit fresher. I'm already tired of orange barrels and I know I have many more miles of them to pass before I get home. I guess I shouldn't complain, I'm in a car with air conditioning and cold drinks and the highway is more-or-less smooth and crosses the rivers easily.

Have a great evening. I will check in again tomorrow.
Rita






I

2 comments:

  1. I often think about the pioneers--how did they do it!! They were a courageous bunch!! Be safe on your travels!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.