Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tuesdays With Rita: Back-to-School

This is my favorite time of year: Back-To-School. As summer progresses I start watching for the big back-to-school sections in the stores. Target is my favorite. Then when the time is right...after the displays are all up and just before the kids start coming...I have at it. Here's one of my hauls this year... and yes I do usually do it more than once.

My most favorite part of the whole things is CRAYONS.

The smell of crayons. Reaching back in to my childhood with crayons. Making art with crayons.

Just the last few days the Yahoo Group "Soul Journaling" was discussing back-to-school. some look forward to the paste (and some were past eaters) but many of us loved and still look forward to the smell of crayons.

Awhile back I worked in a round robin journal with the theme of "simple pleasures."
It was so much fun. The bird and flowers are from coloring book pages found on line.
Take a break today. Go visit the back to school section and buy a box of crayons (or anything else that catches your eye) and enjoy a moment of child's play.

Then tell us your favorite back-to-school story.

4 comments:

  1. oh you are so right! that nostalgic smell of crayons, (has to be crayola though)....it does something to me too! lol
    I have a new box of 64 on my drawing table, all sharp and ready to go..but thus far I have only opened and closed the box to take in the scent!
    it's like aromatherapy right there on my desk as I create and play with my other supplies!

    we must be weird or something, right!
    don't tell anyone!

    ciao bella

    CREATIVE CARMELINA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for coming by for a visit...It's nice to meet you....Your blog is full of wonderful creations and I will defnitely be back to visit again....

    You're so right about crayons....just the smell can evoke so many memories...I think I need to make run to target.....

    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on! I love those back to school sales too. My mom always thought that a box of 64 crayons was decadent in its extravagance, so I love big boxes of crayons, too. (I have numerous boxes of colored pencils and watercolor tins, too. I'd better get at painting or I'll never, ever use up all my supplies!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am right there with you! The only thing better than the back to school aisle is the CLEARANCE back to school supplies- a few days after the kids are in school!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.