Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tuesdays With Rita: Memorable Moments

Sometimes ideas for Tuesdays With Rita come really easy. Other times I have to look a bit. That usually means pulling down one of the many boxes of photos and going through until I find something that I think will strike a chord with other memory writers.

Usually the box is old family photos. When I have time I try to make a journal spread from copies of these. This book will eventually go to my grandsons.

Today the box I grabbed was newer stuff and I immediately came up with "Memorable Moments."

I've only hinted here about my other life in the Old West. I've spent many years as a researcher, author, writer, and event planner. We've fallen out of it for a couple of years but are slowly getting back in to the swing of things.

Here's a photo of Doug and I in our casual garb. The jacket belonged to my sister and is one of  my favorite possessions. I wear it every chance I get.

 The next photo is in our Sunday-go-to-meetin's. This was before I got my big hat but the black dress is a joy to wear. Doesn't Doug look great? It isn't quite a frock coat but it will do. (I have a thing for men in black suits and frock coats.) Both of these events were in Tombstone, Arizona.
 After a few years of just being an assistant at these events I had my first book published, O.K. Corral Postscript: The Death of Ike Clanton. It has sold well but is now out-of-print. One of the fun things that came from it was being interviewed for a documentary about Tombstone and what happened to the various characters that lived there. Even though the documentary never went anywhere it was quite an experience being filmed like that.
And last, but certainly not least, is my good friend, Terry "Ike" Clanton. Terry is a distant cousin and the spittin' image of the "original" Ike Clanton. Here we are at a book signing. You can see my book about his notorious relative on the table along with another booklet I did on Tombstone.

I talked to Terry yesterday. We are making plans to go to Clanton Days in November. We missed last year and can't wait to see our friends and join in the festivities.

What are some of your memorable moments?

2 comments:

  1. I too keep a memory book and record of things that mean so much to me in life...and also of the things I have learned and hope to pass on! This is such a great post...you are a gentle writer and a pleasure to read Rita!

    ciao bella!

    CREATIVE CARMELINA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh , I forgot to mention that your Pink is Everywhere post was really touching...sometimes I wonder how it's even possible to hold on to a positive attitude while suffering with illness....and yet....it is being done all around us by strong, brave women!

    AND IT IS TRUE...A POSITIVE ATTITUDE CAN GET US THROUGH SO MUCH IN LIFE!

    She sounds amazing!

    Thanks again for sharing!

    Ciao bella!

    CREATIVE CARMELINA

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.