Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Tuesdays With Rita: Holiday Calmers

Tis the week before Christmas and my muse has gone on vacation.

Even though Doug and I don't do anything special for the holiday I've been feeling rushed and stressed right along with all those crazies out there on the streets and at the malls. I've thought for a couple of days about what would be a special post for this last Tuesday before Christmas and have come up completely blank.
I've even zipped the Inner Critic's zipper quite a few times and decided that this time it isn't his fault.

I find that what I most want to do is inspire everyone to think about the peaceful moments. The quiet, calm memories that slow your heart rate and make you take a deep breath and relax. Even if they are just memories from a few days ago. What things do you find calming about the holidays?

Hot apple cider comes to mind.
How about the sounds of silence after a snow?
Watching a fire in the fireplace or a favorite movie such as "It's a Wonderful Life."
Sipping hot chocolate in a room full of lighted candles.
Babies bundled up in fleece jammies sleeping peacefully in your arms.
Cutting snowflakes from crisp white paper.

To my friend, Cindi, it is unpacking all the ornaments her three children made over the years and taking the time to reminiscence about each one before hanging it on the tree.

Here are some wintery scenes from my childhood. This was my grandparent's house in Southwestern Kansas.


So, on this last Tuesday before Christmas 2010 I wish you all special moments of peace and calm.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely post Rita! Twinkling white lights in a dark, quiet house--very peaceful and nice. George and I already celebrated with my daughter and family and we will spend christmas day with just the 2 of us. Like it that way--. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...just love kids in footed pj's...so adorable ;) These photos of Kansas remind me of the huge snow storms we use to have in Concord NH and the snow would be stacked up over 5 ft in the city because there was just now other plac to move/snow plow it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly gorgeous trees dressed in white!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.