Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Thursday, January 13, 2011

Highly Prized

Last evening I was in the back yard watering the bushes and trees and kept hearing an unfamiliar chirping in the big old pine tree. I looked and looked and finally spotted this bright and energetic guy up near the top.

I ran inside and got my camera and was so happy he stayed around for a while longer even though he kept himself hidden among the branches and pine cones.

I don't think I have ever seen a cardinal in Phoenix.

I was pretty much shooting blind as I couldn't really see well, even with the camera. When I previewed them it was fun to also see the moon in the photo.

It is way off on the left
hand side and the cardinal
is just off the left center.
Made my day!!

Seeing the cardinal just emphasized my choice for the Sketchbook Challenge prompt for this month:


Highly Prized.        

Since I had my cataract surgery on my right eye I have been having numerous problems and I haven't been able to see correctly. Finally, I am supposed to get my new contact in a few days. I so appreciate my eyes so I did my sketch of  my eyes. (Tried anyway.) The left side is from a photo I took of my grandsons while we were out on a walk this summer. People I Highly Prize.

It has been pretty amazing to see what people have come up with for this prompt: children, spouses, homes, pets, books, quiet moments with a cup of tea, exploring Blogland, and hands. Many people have done more than one sketch. I think I could fill this sketchbook and still have many more to go.

What are some of your Highly Prized items?

6 comments:

  1. What a treat to see a cardinal in Arizona! When I lived there, I really missed seeing them. We have many in Missouri. I'm with you on highly prized--good eyesight!! People who have it have no idea how blessed they are!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shot of the cardinal...it's a great sign...and I love signs ;) Best of luck with your new contact...requesting a most benevolent outcome for you Rita! Fondly, Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pics! I live in Phoenix also but have never seen a cardinal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rita I actually told this cardinal to come and visit you as he is a grandson the cardinal who spent 18 moths tapping on all our windows from sun rise to sunset.
    Best wishes with the contacts. It is amazing what people have posted for Highly prized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing the world through your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rita, i love your cardinal pic and adore your sketch
    hugs June

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.