Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tuesdays With Rita: Project Steps

One of the things I missed while away was my garden. I knew it would be
hard for Doug to work all day and then come home and take care of the
garden so I didn't expect him to do more than harvest and water.
In other words weeding was not on his list of honey-dos.

I was amazed at how quickly it got out of control. The corn, lavender, spinach and
zucchini are all gone. The zucchini was still producing when I left but the record
breaking temps in August put an end to that. The okra is still going nuts although
the plant in front is looking really sad. The tomatoes are surviving and
I get a couple of vine-ripened yummys every day.

The biggest problem is all that Bermuda grass and weeds that have gotten bigger than some of the plants that are supposed to be there. There's one vine thing that I thought was my cantaloupe but on doing some research (comparing leaves on the Internet) it turns out to be a weed.

So where am I going with this? A reminder that when we keep up with things on a daily, weekly, monthly basis whether it be our health, our finances, a writing project, an art project or a garden it is much easier to keep up when you do it in small doses . . .  weeding daily is much easier to handle than to come back and have to do it all at once.

I've decided to just wait until it cools off and get out there and attack the whole garden . . . and plant new crops for the fall. August may be tough in the desert
but we will have a wonderful fall for planting again.

Meanwhile I can spend time each day on updating things on my
computer, writing ideas for my novel, working in my art journal
and sorting through stuff in the house.

What project are you working on that would be easier to face in small doses?

5 comments:

  1. Only "mad dogs and English men go out in the midday sun" and i can verify the latter statement! i always do things in small bits often because while doing one task something else comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have many responsibilities outside, so I take the SUN in small doses. I can't imagine tending to a garden in the summer here, that's an impressive accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For an experiment I let my man take over the gardening this year - I would pitch in when he asked but otherwise I was busy and ignored it and enjoyed the tomatoes that appeared in the kitchen. Then he went away for a couple of days and I saw the garden. This week I have taken back the ornamental gardens out front and I guess the big one in the back. This would definitely be easier in smaller doses. I am sore-sore-sore. And I work out regularly and hard. So far I have half of one flower bed, weeded and iris divided etc. I just took the loppers to the wildly out of control yarrow out back and will continue to annihilate the escapees on a daily basis until I can see some of the perennials...no need for a gym this week - probably this month. Lori de Froup

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I forgot - someone, Carol I think, spoke about the 2 minute rule. I work at home and often heat or reheat my coffee. In one or two minute increments I keep the kitchen under control, including sweeping, dishwasher and counters. Rarely have to stop and clean the kitchen. I use a 15 minute rule while doing taxes. 15 minutes work, 15 minutes play, usually get more done on those type of days than any other. Lori de Froup

    ReplyDelete
  5. A garden in the desert is an ambitious project, no matter how you go at it. Some of the desert gardening "experts" are saying that now is the time to plant. Myself, I know nothing. I am growing rocks. They do not die if they are not tended to.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.