Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tuesdays With Rita: Church Memories

This picture is the Church of God in my hometown of Great Bend, Kansas. The couple standing in the back is my Great Uncle Bill Wilburn, (Preacher) and his wife Ruby.

I remember those pews so well. I remember sitting with my Mom. That window in the back was the nursery and allowed the person caring for the babies to see and hear the sermon.
That's my Mom in the upper right corner with my sister next to her with the glasses. I was sitting in the second row with the other young children. The white scratch is through my face.

My Mom had various ways of keeping me entertained during the sermon. One was to make babies in a blanket from her handkerchief.
They looked like this.


This was one of the handkerchiefs my mother embroidered. Isn't it lovely? See the little "babies" peaking out from the blanket with the flowers?
To make these fold the handkerchief in half.

Then roll up opposite corners to make the babies.
Pull the other corners up behind and in front of the babies to make their little blanket.


I remember these so well. They were one of the ways my Mom showed her love for me.
I still get a warm feeling when I make them for myself.

Do you have special little memories from church or some other quiet time with your parents?

3 comments:

  1. I've never seen these babies before. I can see how a little girl would be so interested in them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, this is a sweet post. Yes, I remember and cherish a 40 minute drive in the car with my Dad 3 times a week for my riding lessons. I knew he worked all day and was tired but he still took me even when there was snow a foot high. The most amazing part is that he didn't even care about horses, it was what made me happy that he cared about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there Rita :)

    I just wanted to let you know that I have a St Rita statue in my home and today she is on my blog. I thought of you whilst I was writing it and would love you to see her.
    Pop over when you have a moment.
    The coffee pot is on. ((^_^))
    Lella xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.