Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Saturday, September 1, 2012

Memoir Journal Workshop

I've only had one person comment on the Memoir Journal Workshop, as I've since named it. That's okay. I just hope many more of you will give this a try. And please, if you are a reader and have a blog, link back to this page
for me: Memoir Journal Workshop In other words, spread the word. Everybody should be doing this.

We are to officially start on Tuesday but here are a few things to do to prepare your journal/composition book.

Mark each spread with an area for "Jots." These are the memories, thoughts and ideas that come up in your writing. You don't want to loose them so you can quickly put them over in the "jots" area and continue on.
You don't have to write "jots" in: I did it to emphasize the area. I used highlighters.

Then in the back of the book cut the last page in half and glue the bottom half around the edges to the inside cover to make a pocket.
 For now I just have some reward stickers in there. Every day that I write I give myself a sticker. As simple as this is it gives a strong sense of achievement.

I'm putting my reward stickers on the inside of the front cover.  Fun!


One last thing. Put a few index cards in your purse or pocket (or sticky notes) to jot down memories or ideas that come to you while you are out and about. These will be things brought out by smells, conversations, signs, etc. You don't want to loose any memories while you are away from your journal.

Just can't wait to get started? The first two subjects I have written about are:
childhood toys and a special childhood friend who you would like to make contact with again.

I will be posting these and other prompts two or three times a week: besides the prompt that usually comes with my Tuesday "Remember When" post.
If you come up with things in your "Jots" area feel free to write about those subjects. There is no particular order.

As you start a page or spread write the subject and the date. Then write with a loose hand and loose thoughts. Don't worry about spelling, grammar or any of those things. Just write. If you get off the subject and like where you are going stay with it. You can always come back to the original subject another day. So far I've written two pages on each subject but there's no rule there. Try for at least that but if you want to keep going feel free to write 10 pages if that is how it works out.

6 comments:

  1. Hi! I check your blog everyday, I love it! I only found it a couple months ago. I always wondered if anyone else in the world thought about the past as much as I do, and now I know there are other people who think about it as much as I do! I amaze people with the things I remember. My best friend from preschool to highschool's father said that I might be a sevant! I love to find odd things that hold meaning (old matchbox cars, a song, candy) and send them to friends and relatives, it has brought tears to more than one! Your blog really strikes a chord with me. I think it is awesome! Jennifer K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. I hope you enjoy the memoir workshop. I have always loved the past and so do most of my friends. I think people who love the past tend to be quieter. lol

      Delete
  2. I am so happy to see this post, i want to try it too! i have recently lost my last parent, the keeper of all our family history, and i am so aware that i need to be writing what i remember. thanks for the nudge. i'm not too blog savvy, if i sign up to "follow" does that mean i get each new post on this mailed to me?
    Linda B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your loss but so glad you realize you have a tradition to carry on. Besides how healing this is. I still miss my mom who passed away in 1990. This is for her too.
      Following will only get the blog to come up in your blog roll. I don't have a set-up to go directly to your mail. Sorry about that. You'll just have to come and check every day or so. lol

      Delete
  3. A friend told me about this workshop today. I think it sounds wonderful. I too am the family history keeper, photographer, etc and i love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more the merrier and the more stories that are saved.

      Delete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.