Tattered Past

Tattered Past: My ongoing journey through genealogy, history, writing, self-exploration and art. ~~~ Rita Ackerman





Sunday, May 12, 2013

M is for . . .

When I was growing up Mom often worked two jobs to support my sister and I. Betty was ten years older and getting on with her own life. I spent many summers with my aunt and uncle and/or grandparents in other towns.

For second grade I spent the entire year with my grandparents. I don't remember a lot except it was a good year. I wasn't teased and tormented as I always was at home. I had friends and enjoyed the rural school. The year stands out in many ways.

I remember going to music class and learning the song from this plaque.
I still remember it very clearly.
Grandma had a doctor's appointment in a nearby larger town and I found this present for my Mom. I don't know if it was for her birthday in March or for Mother's Day.
She always kept it. Now I have it hanging in my hallway.
 
On the back I wrote:
"to Mother I love you from Rita"
 

 
When I became a mother my Mom was on cloud nine.
Here she is with my seven day old daughter.
Every picture I have of them during those first months Mom is just sitting and staring at her.
 
I'd never noticed that before I started looking for a photo for this blog.
Happy Mother's Day Mom and Jessica.
Both great mothers.

Mother
             M is for the million things she gave to me.
                                  O means only that she's getting old.
                                  T is for the tears she shed to save me.
                                  H is for her heart of purest gold.
                                  E is for her eyes with love light shining.
                                  R means right and right she'll always be.

Put them all together they spell
MOTHER
A word that means the world to me.
 
(Garden City, Kansas)


4 comments:

  1. Oh my, Rita ... I once purchased the same poem for my mother! In retrospect, it was rather tacky-looking on a porcelain turret-thingie. Nevertheless, momma hung it right away on her kitchen wall where it stayed for another 20 years!
    Love this pix of your mom and daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the piece of wood isn't exactly fine decor. lol I always thought the song itself was so dreary.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Mom! Happy Mother's Day to you and to Nana! I love you!
    ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet! How lucky you are to still have that memory, in the form of the poem and plaque, from your past.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are like Internet hugs.